Monday, October 22, 2007

What a week!



I feel as if I owe you all a very long email to make up for the last few weeks. However, if you had endured this week with me, you wouldn't expect much!

Our week started off okay. I had a retreat in New Albany on Monday that was disorganized and unproductive, but they paid me for it and provided breakfast and lunch, so who can complain? I returned home to two kids in a great mood! They had enjoyed their day with Aunt Shannon and Grandma Teri. They had played dress up and eaten out for lunch!

During dinner things went from good to bad in a matter of minutes. Anyone who knows me knows that I have a tendency to plan my life out in advance and get a little irritated when things don't go as planned - well, it was about to happen and I had no control over it!! Carson decided puking during dinner was a great plan. Now, sometimes Carson does this b/c he shoves so much food into his mouth (like at Chick-fil-a with my new MOPS friends), but he wasn't pigging out at the moment, so we were confused. He seemed okay the rest of the night, so we thought it was a flukish thing and he'd be fine. However, Tuesday morning he decided it would be a good idea to do the same thing minutes after breakfast - that was when I realized my week was NOT going to go as planned. No MOPS for us on Tuesday! After he hadn't had a wet diaper for 12 hours I decided to call the doctor, who, of course, wanted to see him that day. She found an ear infection and probably something viral causing the vomiting. So, home we went to tough it out on the puking, but with medicine (that he obviously couldn't keep down) for the ear. He got sick 3 more times during the night on Tuesday/Wednesday - which meant no storytime at the library for Wednesday. Did I mention I was having a garage sale this weekend too and desperately needed to get some closets cleaned out? And that the only place my sweet baby boy wanted to be was on my lap?!? By Wednesday evening we thought he was on the upswing. He had kept down 2 doses of medicine and was eating a little. However, after puking 3 more times Wednesday night, we didn't know what to expect. Thursday was a rocky rough day. He was soooo lethargic that I could barely stand it. He just whined, not for food or drink, but just a moaning, whimpery whine everytime I put him down to do anything else - you know, go to the bathroom, help Delaney get dressed - all those things I needed to do :-) By Thursday evening we were pretty sure a trip to the emergency room was in our future. He had a fever of 102 and we decided to try some Motrin to see if we could get that under control. You wouldn't believe the difference that made. I gave it to him around 7pm and by a little after 8 he was walking around the house and talking - is that my boy?!? By Friday afternoon I would say he was 75% himself. We decided to let him leave the house for the first time since Monday. He wanted worms and dirt (ice cream with crushed oreos and gummi worms), so of course, that is what we got!! Today he is himself - whiny, but I think that comes from being 2 and living with Delaney!!!

Delaney was a very big girl this week. She learned to be a little more self sufficient and understanding that the world couldn't revolve around her for a while. Not today, of course!!

I decided to go forward with the garage sale, of course, only half of the stuff was out that should have been, but it was productive. Matt took Friday off work to man the kids while I manned the garage. I made about $50 each day - not too bad for a total lack of planning. I made enough to finish the kitchen redo - that was the goal, so I'm happy!!! Hopefully you will get to see my before and after pictures soon - didn't I say that back in February?!?!?

Love you all!
Gretchen

No comments: