Sunday, April 22, 2007

Day Late, Dollar Short

Seems to be the motto of my life this week - always behind!!! This week I was a "working girl" again. Wow, what a different world it is! I substitute taught at the school I left after I had Carson for the K4 class. It was so much fun, but it has put me FAR behind on my weekly "to do" list. The kids got to spend a day with Daddy, a day with Grandpa Bub (Matt's dad) and a day with Grammy (my mom). It was a fun week for them, though a little confusing. I was the recipient of lots of cuddles in the evenings. Then, I babysat a boy from our church on Friday - that resulted in me having to call my mom in for backup because Delaney was none too thrilled that on the day I had finally stayed home with her, I was giving all of my attention to this "other child." Luckily, once mom came, things seemed to calm down a bit and the afternoon returned to normal pace.

I am glad that I didn't force myself to write this update last night, because I have the cutest and funniest story from this morning. We went to the library on Thursday evening and we got a Curious George book about him making pancakes. So, when we read it yesterday I said maybe we could have pancakes for breakfast on Saturday. Delaney woke up a little after 7 o'clock and did her usual screaming for me routine. I went in (in my jammies) and ask her what she needed. She said, "Is it time to get up yet?" So, I told her no (of course I'd love some more sleep!!). She rolled over and said okay. I went back to bed for a few minutes but couldn't go back to sleep so I decided I'd get up and get some things done before the whole house was awake. When I came out of the bathroom she was in bed with Matt. I went in and asked what she was doing in there and she just smiled. So I said, "I was getting up to come get you out of bed and snuggle with you." She sat up and said, "I'll go back in there then." So I laid down in our bed and we snuggled for a while. Then I asked her if she'd like to help me make the pancakes so they'd be ready when Car woke up. So, we went out to the kitchen and she dumped all the ingredients into the bowl and helped me mix up the batter. Then she directed the chocolate chip placement (so we could add smiley faces like they did in the book - of course, in the book they used blueberries - close enough!!). She must have done a good job making them because she ate more for breakfast then I've ever seen her eat before. She had 2 and a half pancakes and almost 2 pieces of sausage - piggy wiggy!!!!

All in all, it was a wonderful waking up and breakfast experience!! Then, the kids were GREAT for us and played in the garage while we did some serious spring cleaning. For those of you who have seen our garage before - it now looks like a one and a half car garage (in Matt's words) because we cleaned out that much junk!!

Have a great rest of your weekend!
Gretchen

No comments: