Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Names

The other morning Carson and I were having our typical bonding time (he is my early riser). Over our coffee and juice (and snuggling) he started an interesting, and then funny, conversation. They went to Vacation Bible School last week at the church we've been attending and they were learning a lot of new songs there. They asked us to buy a CD of the songs on Wednesday night, so we did. They taught us all 10 of the songs, with the motions for most of them, by Thursday afternoon. One of the songs says "Jesus Christ" in it, so Carson asked me if Jesus' name was just Jesus or if it was Jesus Christ.

The conversation went something like this:
"Why does that song say Jesus Christ? He's just Jesus."
"He has more than one name, buddy. Your name is Carson what?"
"Carson James"
"Carson James what?"
"Dillard"
"Okay, so like you have more than just Carson as your name, so did Jesus. But we don't always call you Carson James Dillard, right?"
"Yeah"
"What is my name?"
"Mommy"
"What is my REAL name?"
"Mommy James Tooley"

I don't know why I found that so adorable, but it was said in the most serious of tones...he was convinced that was my name! What a cutie!!!

4 comments:

Jill said...

SOOO funny!

Cara said...

I seem to recall overhearing Carson once before and he thinks everyone's middle name is James. But that's alright! Must mean he's happy with his name!

gretchen said...

Or he's just heard 18 zillion times that everyone's name is James...Daddy's, Grandpa Bub's, Grandpa Jim's....etc....etc.....etc......so he assumes we'd all like to join in! But, where did he get Tooley from?

Marilyn said...

So cute! Sounds like a curious and very creative lil’ mind.