Saturday, June 23, 2007

Birthday "season" is over

Carson woke up yesterday asking if it was his birthday. No, sorry buddy, not for another year. What a let down! After all the build up of a party the weekend before and talking about what he wants to do on his special day and then it's just over. He had so much fun though! We had a normal play in the backyard morning, because that is what he asked for. After naps we went to Steak 'n' Shake where he devoured a cheeseburger and french fries (I did not order him cottage cheese as he is used to....only fries!!). Then we went to the mall so he could play in the playland as this was his original request for the morning, but he changed it after I had fixed my hair and put on make up - love boys - no concept of what we go through to go out in public - guess it starts young!! Then, we ate his birthday treat at the mall. He wanted brownies, but I didn't see the point of making a whole pan for the four of us, so we bought some huge brownies with thick icing at the mall and Delaney had hers gone in less than 10 minutes. Carson ate less than 1/2 of his at the mall and brought the rest home. Car really seemed to enjoy his gifts and went to bed a happy 2 year old!

The rest of our week was pretty exciting also. On Wednesday we went to the Children's Museum with some friends of ours. We got to see the trains, dinosaurs, and take a ride on the carousel. This was Carson's first trip on the carousel where he didn't freeze up and freak out on me. It was very fun!

On Monday and Wednesday we had swim lessons. We alternated the kids in and out of the water in 10/15 minute intervals since the doctor didn't like how Matt's hand was healing so he couldn't put it in nasty public pool water (his hand looks great now, so I'm glad he didn't risk it). The kids did a very good job of understanding that it was the other one's turn and they would have to sit with Daddy for a while till they got to get in again or until it was over. I was impressed with their maturity in this area. I expected there to be tears, screaming, and kicking involved, but it didn't happen.

Friday was full of adventure also. Kevin (Matt's dad) and Matt decided to do some modifications to our deck. I thought I'd escape with the kids, but they did such a good job when Kevin and Matt went outside that we decided to stick around. I was worried that they'd stand at the door and yell for them or knock on windows and distract them. That didn't happen until after they woke up from their naps, then they decided to be "annoying." So, we left and I dropped them off with Grammy (my mom) and took my dad with me to get dinner for everyone. We met back up at our house and enjoyed fish fry food and good company before Kevin and Matt went back out to tackle the deck. The hot tub hole has been made and the hot tub is in it. The new addition to the deck is framed and the wood is sitting on it. However, today it has decided to mist and sprinkle most of the day, so there hasn't been any progress. Hopefully by the end of the week I can send pictures of the completed project. I am going to have to keep the kids out of the backyard until it is done, so I hope it happens fast :-)

I will attach a few cute pictures from the week. Enjoy!

Gretchen

No comments: